Thursday, July 27, 2006

Mid-Day, Mumbai on the Move .... Part III
--------------------------------------------------




Then there are others, who are so serious about their business, that one would get depressed just by reading the colored advertisement in the newspaper.

Mid-Day is the only hope on this landscape and stands like a blossomed lily in middle of a pond. It is a very refreshing daily which not only features regular national and current affair news, just like any other serious Newspaper (not Fin-Fi or TP variety).

Mid-Day have featured stories on bai (house maid in Marathi or Bombaiya-Hindi) who does Jhado-kapda-burthen (Dusting, laundry and Dishes in Hindi) and her woes, to Bobby darling and his (or hers - depending upon your sexual orientation) date of the week. They have covered the entire characters from all strata of society.

They have been entertaining train-raiders with two page of TimeOut, which has the best comic strips, crosswords, sudoko and daily horoscope. I am such a sucker for predictions by Majorie Ore (and now Shirley Bose), that I usually plan my day accordingly. If she says, “Avoid conflicts at home”, I promptly go to the store buy a piece of jewellery for my wife, than clear up the dishes after dinner, before I even dare to stare at TV. If she says, “Avoid conflicts at work”, I quietly hole up in my cube, refrain from using my Gmail account, surfing Internet or taking tea-breaks. I also avoid grumbling about workload and salary with my boss. For a change I work, not just pretend to work.

.......... To be continued

No comments: